The IRS has stepped up collections and prosecutions of taxpayers who have failed to file returns and owe back taxes. The IRS will relentlessly levy wages, bank accounts, and other assets when a taxpayer owes back taxes and fails to resolve their IRS problems. The Scammahorn Law Firm specializes in solving tax problems. Scott Scammahorn, Tyler & Dallas back taxes attorney and founder of the Scammahorn Law Firm, PC holds an additional law degree in taxation, focusing on fighting the IRS on behalf of taxpayers. We are all familiar with the ridiculous television and radio ads by national “tax resolution” companies, promising everything but actually delivering very little. These companies employ sales people who have only one priority: maximize their sales commissions. Many of these companies have filed for bankruptcy, leaving their clients worse off financially than before. At the Scammahorn Law Firm, your case will be handled personally by the Tyler & Dallas back taxes attorney, not an assistant or sales person. You will have direct access to the attorney in person, by telephone and e-mail.
Taxpayers owing money in back taxes have numerous options
If you’re behind on your taxes, you might assume that paying them off in full is your only option for getting right with the IRS. The federal government, like many Americans themselves, is short on funds. As a result, the IRS is often willing to settle for less than the full amount to which it is entitled in taxes. Taxpayers have a number of options for how they can tackle their federal tax debt, and many of these options offer an opportunity for taxpayers to reduce the full amount they repay in taxes.
Each tax relief program comes with its own rules and restrictions on who may participate. By working with a skilled Tyler & Dallas tax attorney, you can learn which options might work best for you by helping you avoid additional financial penalties or possible criminal prosecution based on unpaid taxes. Experienced Dallas tax lawyer Scott Scammahorn has helped hundreds of Texas residents who owe back taxes find a way out of tax debt. You can learn more about a few of your options on handling your back taxes below, and contact the Dallas or Tyler law offices of the Scammahorn Law Firm today to discuss these options in greater depth.
- Offer-in-compromise program: This program offers taxpayers an opportunity to settle their tax debt for less than what they owe. The IRS will consider offer-in-compromise applications from those with tax debts who fall into one of three categories: they don’t have a large enough income or sufficient assets to pay the debt, they would suffer a severe economic hardship by paying the full amount, or there is doubt as to whether they owe the full amount of the claimed tax debt.
- Penalty abatement: Penalties can make up a substantial portion of an individual’s tax debt and may be waived in certain circumstances, such as when the taxpayer received bad advice from a tax adviser or IRS agent, or where the taxpayer suffered a major disaster that affected others in the area, such as a hurricane or flood. Tax debtors who are receiving a penalty for the first time may also be eligible for penalty abatement.
- Currently non-collectible status: If a taxpayer is struggling to make ends meet on even their basic expenses, they may be able to request that the IRS place their account in “currently non-collectible” status. This will keep the IRS from garnishing the individual’s wages or making other attempts to collect the debt. However, penalties and interest will continue to accrue on the debt.
Call Our Back Taxes Attorney in Dallas & Tyler, TX For Immediate Assistance
Tyler & Dallas back taxes attorney Scott Scammahorn will work hard for you to resolve your back tax problem, prevent or remove bank and wage levies, and help you get the IRS out of your life once and for all. Contact the Scammahorn Law Firm today to put an end to your tax problems. The Internal Revenue Service is becoming more and more aggressive against individuals and small business owners. Do not let the IRS levy your bank accounts or seize your property. Contact a Tyler & Dallas tax resolution attorney today to handle your back tax issues in Texas and resolve your IRS problems for good. We serve individuals and businesses throughout the State of Texas, including Tyler, Nacogdoches, Marshall, Longview, Palestine, Dallas, Fort Worth, Abilene, Odessa, Midland, San Antonio and Plano. The IRS has lawyers working for them. You should have one Tyler & Dallas back taxes lawyer working for you. Contact the Scammahorn Law Firm to put an end to your IRS problems today.
- Democratic Candidate for Governor Owes Thousands in Back Taxes
- How to Prepare for a Tax Audit
- Do Your Homework Before Hiring a Tax Attorney
- Cases under Tax Litigation Excluded from Private Collection Agencies
- Can the IRS Seize My Tax Refund?
- Avoid These Top 5 Tax-Filing Mistakes
- Preparing for Tax Court
- Medical Device Company Agrees to $275M Settlement with IRS in Tax Dispute
- Who to Call for Tax Litigation Questions: an Attorney or an Accountant?
- What Are the Tax Fraud Charges against Paul Manafort?